Benefits of Trunnion 5-Axis Mill
- Easy transition from 3-axis machining. The 5-axis trunnion style machining centers are an ideal configuration for 5-sided machining, especially if you've always worked on a 3-axis machine because the trunnion style design uses the same principles as 3-axis. This means less training, less setup time, and more flexibility.
- More clearance in Z-axis. The integrated design of the trunnion table 5-axis VMC gives you more clearance in Z, especially compared to 3-axis VMCs with a trunnion table added to simulate a 5-axis VMC.
- Seamless integration. Seamless integration of pneumatic and/or hydraulic fixtures is another benefit. We purposely designed the U-Series 5-axis VMCs so you can easily feed the cables for these types of fixtures through the shoulder.
- Better undercut + larger work volume + more torque. The trunnion rotates +110 degrees compared to the SR’s +92 degrees. The trunnion style gives you a larger work volume because you don’t have to compensate for the space used by the swivel head with tool attached. The U-Series trunnion 5-axis mills also have more torque at low rpm.
Advanced 5-Axis Control Technology
Hurco has several features designed to make 5-sided and 5-axis more efficient.
- Tool Center Point Management eliminates the need to account for the machining center’s centerlines of rotation. Instead, you simply use the solid model zero location. Post the program independent of where the stock is fixtured on the table.
- Transform Plane calculates the other locations for each of the rotary moves after you locate part zero. The control software only needs you to define part zero one time, and it figures out all of the other part zero locations automatically.
- 3-D Tool Compensation eliminates the need to repost the program in order to adjust the tool diameter because of wear. For 3D surfaces, machinists cut off the tool’s centerline to obtain a better surface finish and preserve tool life. This feature allows you to compensate for wear without the need to repost.
- Tool Path Linearization eliminates gouging of the workpiece and the line segments in the form of XYZBC or AC moves that a CAM system uses, which results in a smoother surface finish and a smaller program.
- Tool Vector Input allows the control to compute machine angles and positions, and calculates the angle the tool is going to tilt from the contact point of the surface. This means the part program is machine independent.
- Tool Vector Retract tells the spindle to retract out of the hole or pocket along the tool vector angle, which eliminates tool breakage and/or damage to the part.
We have the best customers in the world! Truly, they are the epitome of the American work ethic, American ingenuity, and a "get it done" attitude. We are honored to be a part of their business. Their endorsement is our greatest advertisement.“With the VM10U, we went from 9 operations to 2 on this military part. We save 40 minutes per piece in cycle time alone and easily save an hour and 10 minutes total. Maybe even more important to our bottom line is the fact that the operator is running two other machines while the VM10U is making chips,”
––Keith Dalpe, EMM Precision
“The five-sided software is very easy to use. On our 3-axis machines we had six setups. On our new 5-axis VM10U, we only have two setups.”
––John Gregorich, Gregor Technologies
The focus on 5-Axis + 5-Sided
At Hurco, we are immersed in 5-axis technology. We have carved out a niche in this arena because we made a commitment to focus on 5-axis. We determined this type of machining center, combined with the capabilities of our control, would make our customers more profitable. Similar to the transition from manual mills to CNC mills, we believe the time is right for shops across the country to increase profit margin by investing in 5-axis.
Because we listened to our customers' reservations about switching from a 3-axis process to 5-axis, we assembled a 5-axis applications team with a dedicated phone number and email to help. If you do NOT OWN a 5-axis machining center, the most important message you need to know: 5-sided machining on a 5-axis machining center will increase the profit margin of the parts you are producing on your 3-axis machining centers. The Hurco control makes programming easy for 5-sided---NO CAM needed!
Learn more at FiveAxisMachining.com
Don’t Get Left Behind
According to benchmark data from Modern Machine Shop magazine, 24% of the highest performing shops in the U.S. are using 5-axis positioning. Hurco has carved out a niche in the 5-axis arena due to years of research and development. When we decide where to invest our resources at Hurco, our primary criteria are customer productivity and profitability. We evaluate the past, the present, and the possibilities of the future to determine what technology will benefit our customers the most. Nearly a decade ago, we determined that 5-axis machining warranted our attention and set a path to become the experts. We continue to lead the industry in developing control technology that optimizes the process for full 5-axis and 5-sided (3+2).
As our industry transitioned from manual to CNC milling, many shops got left behind. The transition from 3-axis to 5-axis may prove to be a similar situation. At the very least, you should evaluate the benefits of integrating 5-sided processes into your operation. With 5-sided, also called 3+2, you reduce setup time, increase accuracy, and expand your shop’s capability for future simultaneous 5-axis work.
When you invest in a Hurco 5-axis CNC machining center, you get two machines in one. A machine that will immediately increase the profit margin of the parts you’re producing on a 3-axis machining center via powerful 5-sided programming (no CAM needed) and a rigid machine that is fully compatible with CAD/CAM packages for simultaneous 5-axis.
Learn more about the profitability potential of 5-sided machining at FiveAxisMachining.com
Coolant Through the Spindle (CTS).
If you’re doing deep hole drilling, CTS will pay for itself quickly with increased productivity and extended tool life. CTS is also recommended for pocket milling because you can cut faster and your tools last longer. Additionally, CTS provides cooling to keep fight heat dissipation, which helps to preserve accuracy. Hurco offers 300 and 1,000 psi CTS options.
Thermal Stabilization Package. This spindle oil chiller is thermostatically controlled ward against spindle head growth. It is the most efficient way to preserve spindle life and preserve accuracy.
Part Probing. Hurco offers a Conversational Part Probing package with fully-featured conversational data blocks that allow you execute hands-free part and inspection probing, and full support of Renishaw part probing.
Renishaw Tool Probing. Hurco has two compact yet robust tool setting probe packages for accurate measurement of tool length and diameter in a free spindle state or in rotation. The basic package uses a stylus touch application and the non-contact package uses a laser beam non-contact application.