The most significant advantage of the multi-axis TMXMY/TMXMYS mill turn machines is the simplified programming and operation via the control. By simply checking a box, the control activates linear Y-axis motion. The sub-spindle functions are similarly straightforward. Learn more about mill turn control features. Beyond the control technology
, the TMXMY and TMXMYS mill turn machines have multiple design features that prove valuable for mill turn applications.
- Design + Construction: It starts with a certified Meehanite® casting, which provides superb dampening characteristics that inhibit thermal deformation and twisting. This robust machine tool features oversized guide rails that are strategically spaced to provide excellent support to the cross slide. A wide saddle increases rigidity even further. Ultimately, all of these design features mean the TMXMY/MYS mill turn lathes can withstand heavier loads and more momentum.
- Servo Turret: Fast Duplomatic servo turret with 12- driven tool stations is designed to provide faster and more accurate tool indexes. You can use any combination of ID and OD tool holders.
- Heat Isolation System: Because heat is the enemy of machine tools, we’ve designed our TMXMY/MYS mill turn lathes to promote thermal stability by isolating heat producing components and adding a spindle chiller.
- Machining Capacity: The generous turning diameter and turning length allows a wide range of part sizes and applications.
At the heart of the TMXMY/MYS mill turn machines is the flexibility of the integrated Hurco control powered by WinMax®
. The power of our control technology is even more impressive when you see how easy it is to program multi-axis mill turn applications and subspindle operations. Learn more about specific mill turn control features.
As with all Hurco machine tools, our integrated control can be programmed on the shop floor with Hurco's patented conversational programming or industry standard NC. Our control lets you choose the best method of programming for your shop and for each individual job. Additionally, the easy-to-use touch screen provides helpful setup and verification graphics that show cuts on the screen before they are executed—virtually eliminating wasted materials and potential machine crashes.
Simplified Y-axis milling: To simplify programming for multiple axes, you simply check a box to indicate you want to use the Y-axis for axial and radial machining operations such as holes and contours.
Crash protection: In order to avoid crashing into other machine components while using a Position Block to position the axes, the operator is required to define which order each axis moves.
Easy Tool Setup: You can mount multiple tools in the same turret station. Simply define the station where the tool is located. This gives you a quick and easy way to reassign tools to different stations.
Sub-spindle simplified: We’ve broken down the sub-spindle operations into two stages:
Stage 1 - Program the sub-spindle positioning and clamping of the part.
Stage 2 - Program the release of the part from the main spindle and re-position the sub spindle.
The control’s graphical verification feature simulates the main and sub spindle.
In addition to the mill turn and sub-spindle control features described above, the Hurco mill turn machines have all of the popular productivity features found in our TMX lathes.
- DXF Transfer: Eliminates the need to hand code complex profiles by importing the 2D toolpath geometry directly into the control.
- 3D Verification Graphics: Half and quarter views with semi-transparency to see more of the toolpath information especially inside the part.
- Auto Tool Nose Radius Compensation: Eliminate the need to use trigonometry to compensate for the tool nose radius on start and end positions of a toolpath.
- Conversational Programming: Our founder invented this intuitive, straightforward programming method that leverages the power of technology to do what software does best—the redundant and mathematical tasks—and leaves the machining expertise to you. Features such as AutoCalc, Constant Surface Speed, and Diameter or Radius Programming, are just a few examples of how conversational programming simplifies complex processes.
- ISNC (G Code) Programming: While we're known for our conversational programming, the NC side of our control accepts FANUC formatted programs, including macros, and is compatible with the most utilized CAM systems.
Learn more about the lathe control
Compared to the years we have been developing control technology and machining centres, our mill turn experience seems short. However, we've leveraged our overall machine tool experience and efficient process approach to ensure that each decision we make meets our objective to deliver manufacturing technology that helps our customers increase profitability. Our founder grew up helping his grandfather in the family tool and die shop. He started Hurco to “simplify the work of the machinist through the use of technology.” We employ this mission in each product we develop. Through our 40+ years building machine tools, we know that premium components and expert design are critical, and we know how to minimise non-cutting time operations, such as setup and programming. When you invest in a Hurco TMXMY or TMXMYS mill turn machine, you will benefit from our experience and our culture of innovation.
Learn more about the features
that make the TMX mill turn lathes the best choice for high performance turning and milling operations.
In general, the TMXMY/MYS mill turn machines are invaluable when part tolerances are critical or when saving floor space is necessary. The Hurco mill turn lathes preserve accuracy because the process enables seamless integration of a true “one and done” operation so you don’t lose accuracy or waste time with multiple setups.
While some shop owners believe the purchase of a turning centre and a machining centre makes more sense economically, a general rule of which strategy is best—a mill turn machine or a lathe/mill cell, is the amount of milling the part requires. If more than 25% requires milling, you should seriously consider purchasing a turning centre and a mill instead of a mill turn machine.
Specific applications that have benefitted from a mill turn process include automotive parts, such as an axel forging; medical parts, such as bone implants; aerospace/defence parts, such as missile components; specialty equipment, such as parts made for packaging equipment; and electronics components, such as connectors. In these applications, the part is primarily a turned part with light milling required.
Our control technology is the greatest advantage of mill turn machines because the technology we develop yields the greatest opportunity for our customers to increase profitability via increased productivity. With large capacity memory, a fast processor, and multiple control features that minimise setup time, you will benefit from a control that helps you get from print to part faster.
Premium Components + Expert Design
All Hurco, mill turn machines are built for increased rigidity with an extra wide saddle and larger Z-axis rails. You can be assured our TMXMY and TMXMYS mill turn machines have the premium components and rigidity required.
- One-piece bed casting for maximum rigidity.
- Ergonomic design features make each process more efficient.
- Convenient front access to chuck and tailstock pressure controls.
- Front loading coolant tank and chip conveyor design to minimise maintenance and provide easy access.
- The 30-degree true slant bed design promotes larger turning capacity in addition to efficient chip removal.
- Component isolation system minimises heat dissipation and protects the spindle head to combat spindle growth.
- Chip management features protect internal components
- Telescopic way covers
- Inside door track
- Washdown and air guns
- Adjustable brass coolant nozzles
- Premium Components
- The VDI servo turret provides quick change tooling and fast indexing, features large, curvic coupling for superior rigidity, and makes all stations live-tool capable.
- The short, live-tool drive train generates less heat, and provides more horsepower and torque transfer to the tool, higher reliability, and quieter operation.
- Advanced spindle technology with high output spindle motor. Additionally, the spindle motor is strategically designed for easy access and easy maintenance
- Guide ways: The guide mechanism for the axes is fitted with precision linear ball rails. Our linear rails are built with the same precision grinding technology used in the manufacture of bearings because this technology provides superior acceleration and deceleration performance at full load-carrying capacity in all directions. Using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) technology, the size and spacing of the linear ball rails have been carefully matched to the machine’s static (precision boring) and dynamic (cutting and traversing) operating requirements. Each bearing block is independently and automatically lubricated to promote long life.
- Ball screws: For feed drive elements, Hurco only uses premium, quality designed, pre-tensioned, double-nut ball screws. With up to 98% efficiency, the re-circulating ball nut ensures low friction power transmission from the screw to the slide. This guarantees the combination of high accuracy, high rapid traverse rates, and high feed thrust. Large diameter double-nut ball screws are hardened and ground, centred between the guide ways, and anchored at both ends with pre-loaded ABEC-7 precision class angular contact thrust bearings. This combination prevents backlash and provides outstanding positioning repeatability with virtually no thermal growth.
- Axis Drives: To maintain a leading edge in motion control technology all ball screws are driven by Yaskawa or Rexroth servo systems with closed-loop adaptive tuning and high-resolution feedback to obtain the utmost in system performance and reliability. The AC servo motors are direct-coupled to the ball screws for the highest level of accuracy. The brushless AC servo drive motors provide high torque to inertia ratio for the axis drives. The X and Z axis motors deliver impressive torque for peak thrust during heavy cuts.
Fully Programmable Tail Stock: The heavy duty, programmable tail stock ways are hardened and ground with precise alignment for accurate centre positioning. The tail stock is fully programmable from the control. You can activate the quill with a footswitch or from the control with an M function.
Parts Catcher: Reliable, tailstock mounted parts catcher with wide bucket to catch parts easily. Bucket extension is programmable to desired position at precisiley the right moment. Parts transferred to enclosed bin mounted outside sliding access door.
Parts Conveyer: Moves parts from catcher bin to secondary operations such as a parts washer or parts tumbler for lights out manufacturing.
High Pressure Coolant: Provides up to 1000 psi for deep hole drilling.
Lift-Up Chip Conveyor: Increases productivity by keeping the spindle cutting, while chips are carried out of the machine with a barrel height chip conveyor. Easy front access is provided.
Auto Tool Presetter: This Tool Touch Probing package is a compact and robust tool setting probe, which utilises a stylus touch application for accurate measurement of tool geometry offsets. Tool probing is for initial tool set only and will not support automatic in process gauging.
Hurco Bar Feeder: This magazine-fed automatic bar feeder increases productivity. The Integrated PLC controller comes with a remote control pendant for fast and easy setups and includes three (3) pusher rods. The Hurco bar feeder comes standard with a slider assembly for easy door access.
Bar Feeder Interface: Allows third-party bar feeders to be controlled by Hurco lathes.
Oil Skimmer: Increases coolant life and performance by removing unwanted oil.
Mist Collector: Provides a safe, clean environment while also reclaiming evaporated coolant mist.