The most significant advantage the Hurco TMM mill turn machines is the simplified programming and operation via the control. Learn more about mill turn control features
. Beyond the control technology, the TMM mill turn machines have multiple design features that prove valuable for mill turn applications.
- Design + Construction: We use thick-walled, fine-grain cast iron for the major structural assemblies (base, head stock, and cross slide). The rigid one-piece machine base casting is designed to yield excellent static and dynamic performance in addition to outstanding dampening properties that inhibit thermal deformation and twisting. The box type cross slide ensures the turret remains rigid and stable even during the most rigorous cycles. We also use extra wide linear guide ways that are strategically spaced to provide excellent support to the cross slide.
- Fast, Servo Turret: The slotted tool turret is designed to provide fast and accurate tool indexes. You can use any combination of ID and OD tool holders. The turret uses a large cervic coupling for accurate location and clamping.
- C-Axis: The C-Axis programs to .001 degree and it is standard on the Hurco lathes with live tooling—not an additional charge like competitor models.
Hurco engineers have made sure the control of the TMM mill turn lathes has features that simplify 3-axis turning. For example, when programming holes on the face of a part, you can choose to program in polar or rectangular coordinates.
Additionally, the threading cycle performs multi-pass threading for outside diameter (OD) and inside diameter (ID) threads. The control simplifies threading—you can easily set spring passes, decreasing depths, and multiple starts found in complex threads on one screen.
As with all Hurco machine tools, our integrated control can be programmed on the shop floor with Hurco's patented conversational programming or industry standard NC. Our control lets you choose the best method of programming for your shop and for each individual job. Additionally, the easy-to-use touch screen provides helpful setup and verification graphics that show cuts on the screen before they are executed—virtually eliminating wasted materials and potential machine crashes.
Additionally, the Hurco mill turn machines have all of the popular productivity features found in TM and TMX lathes.
- DXF Transfer: Eliminates the need to hand code complex profiles.
- 3D Verification Graphics: Half and quarter views with semi-transparency to see more of the toolpath information especially inside the part.
- Auto Tool Nose Radius Compensation: Eliminate the need to use trigonometry to compensate for the tool nose radius on start and end positions of a toolpath.
- Conversational Programming: Our founder invented this intuitive, straightforward programming method that leverages the power of technology to do what software does best—the redundant and mathematical tasks—and leaves the machining expertise to you. Features such as AutoCalc, Constant Surface Speed, and Diameter or Radius Programming, are just a few examples of how conversational simplifies complex processes.
- ISNC (G Code) Programming: While we're known for our conversational programming, the NC side of our control accepts FANUC formatted programs, including macros, and is compatible with the most utilised CAM systems.
Learn more about the lathe control
Compared to the years we have been developing control technology and manufacturing machining centres, our mill turn experience seems short. However, we've leveraged our overall machine tool experience and efficient process approach to ensure that each decision we make meets our objective to deliver manufacturing technology that helps our customers increase profitability. Our founder grew up helping his grandfather in the family tool and die shop. He started Hurco to “simplify the work of the machinist through the use of technology.” We employ this mission in each product we develop. Through our 40+ years building machine tools, we know that premium components and expert design are critical, and we know how to minimise non-cutting time operations, such as setup and programming. When you invest in a Hurco TMM mill turn machine, you will benefit from our experience and our culture of innovation.
Learn more about the features
that make the TMM mill turn lathes the best choice for general purpose turning and milling operations.
“With conversational programming, we don’t have the expense or the bottleneck of a CAD/CAM department.”
––Charlie Gagnon, EMM Precision
“The machine at least halves production time across the turned components we produce, allowing us to make parts less expensively," ––Chris Murphy, Riteway Engineering
“With the Hurco control, we only need to maintain the program at the machine instead of having a CAM file and a machine program. Additionally, the ease of use made the learning curve less daunting.”
––Alex Okun, Etogen Scientific
Our control technology is the greatest advantage of our lathes because the technology we develop yields the greatest opportunity for our customers to increase profitability via increased productivity. With large capacity memory, a fast processor, and multiple control features that minimise setup time, you will benefit from a control that helps you get from print to part faster.
Premium Components + Expert Design
At Hurco, mill turn machines are built for increased rigidity with an extra wide saddle and large Z-axis rails. You can be assured our TMM mill turn machines have the premium components and rigidity you need.
- One-piece bed casting for maximum rigidity.
- Ergonomic design features make each process more efficient.
- Convenient front access to chuck and tailstock pressure controls.
- Front loading coolant tank and chip conveyor design to minimise maintenance.
- The 30-degree true slant bed design promotes larger turning capacity in addition to efficient chip removal.
- Component isolation system minimises heat dissipation and protects the spindle head to combat spindle growth.
- Chip management features protect internal components
- Telescopic way covers
- Inside door track
- Washdown and air guns
- Adjustable brass coolant nozzles
- Premium Components
- The VDI servo turret provides quick change tooling and fast indexing, features large, curvic coupling for superior rigidity, and makes all stations live-tool capable.
- The short, live-tool drive train generates less heat, and provides more torque transfer to the tool, higher reliability, and quieter operation.
- Advanced spindle technology with high output spindle motor. Additionally, the spindle motor is strategically designed for easy access and easy maintenance
- Guide ways: The guide mechanism for the axes is fitted with precision linear ball rails. Our linear rails are built with the same precision grinding technology used in the manufacture of bearings because this technology provides superior acceleration and deceleration performance at full load-carrying capacity in all directions. Using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) technology, the size and spacing of the linear ball rails have been carefully matched to the machine’s static (precision boring) and dynamic (cutting and traversing) operating requirements. Each bearing block is independently and automatically lubricated to promote long life.
- Ball screws: For feed drive elements, Hurco only uses premium, quality designed, pre-tensioned ball screws. With up to 98% efficiency, the re-circulating ball nut ensures low friction power transmission from the screw to the slide. This guarantees the combination of high accuracy, high rapid traverse rates, and high feed thrust. Large diameter X-axis and Z-axis double nut ball screws are hardened and ground, centred between the guide ways, and anchored at both ends with pre-loaded ABEC-7 precision class angular contact thrust bearings. This combination prevents backlash and provides outstanding positioning repeatability with virtually no thermal growth.
- Axis Drives: To maintain a leading edge in motion control technology all ball screws are driven by Yaskawa or Rexroth servo systems with closed-loop adaptive tuning and high-resolution feedback to obtain the utmost in system performance and reliability. The AC servo motors are direct-coupled to the ball screws for the highest level of accuracy. The brushless AC servo drive motors provide high torque to inertia ratio for the axis drives. The X and Z axis motors deliver impressive torque for peak thrust during heavy cuts.
Tail Stock: The heavy duty, programmable tail stock ways are hardened and ground with precise alignment for accurate center positioning. You can activate the quill with a footswitch or from the control with an M function.
Parts Catcher: Air operated swing plate type parts catcher. Parts are transferred to an enclosed bin that is mounted outside the sliding access door. The kit includes an air pressure regulator, dryer, and lubricator.
Parts Conveyer: Moves parts from catcher bin to a parts washer or parts tumbler for lights out manufacturing.
High Pressure Coolant: Provides up to 1000psi for deep hole drilling.
Lift-Up Chip Conveyor: Increases productivity by keeping the spindle cutting, while chips are carried out of the machine with a barrel height chip conveyor. Easy front access is provided.
Auto Tool Presetter: This Tool Touch Probing package is a compact and robust tool setting probe, which utilises a stylus touch application for accurate measurement of tool geometry offsets. Tool probing is for initial tool set only and will not support automatic in process gauging.
Hurco Bar Feeder: This magazine-fed automatic bar feeder increases productivity. The Integrated PLC controller comes with a remote control pendant for fast and easy setups and includes three (3) pusher rods. The Hurco bar feeder comes standard with a slider assembly for easy door access.
Bar Feeder Interface: Allows third-party bar feeders to be controlled by Hurco lathes.
Oil Skimmer: Increases coolant life and performance by removing unwanted oil.
Mist Collector: Provides a safe, clean environment while also reclaiming evaporated coolant mist.