Rigidity is absolutely critical for turning heavy parts—that’s why we evaluate each design decision to ensure it promotes rigidity, reliability, and longevity.
- Design + Construction: It starts with a certified Meehanite® casting, which provides superb dampening characteristics that inhibit thermal deformation and twisting. This robust machine tool features oversized Z-axis guide rails that are strategically spaced to provide excellent support to the cross slide. A wide saddle increases rigidity even further. Ultimately, all of these design features mean the Hurco heavy duty lathes can withstand heavier loads.
- Maximum Torque The TM heavy duty turning centres are equipped with a two-speed gear box that gives you the ability to achieve maximum torque at low speeds and maintain adequate torque at high speeds .
- Servo Turret: Fast turret with 12-tool stations is designed to provide faster and more accurate tool indexes. You can use any combination of ID and OD tool holders.
- Heat Isolation System: Since heat is the enemy of machine tools, we’ve isolated heat producing components and added a spindle chiller to promote thermal stability and minimize heat dissipation.
- Machining Capacity: The generous turning diameter and turning length allows a wide range of large and long part sizes.
At the heart of the TM heavy duty, slant-bed lathes is the power and flexibility of the integrated Hurco control powered by WinMax®. The control can be programmed on the shop floor with Hurco's patented conversational programming or industry standard NC. Our control lets you choose the best method of programming for your shop and for each individual job. No other control offers the level of flexibility that you will experience with the Hurco control. Additionally, the easy-to-use touch screen provides helpful setup and verification graphics that show cuts on the screen before they are executed—virtually eliminating wasted materials and potential machine crashes.
- DXF Transfer: Eliminates the need to hand code complex profiles.
- 3D Verification Graphics: Half and quarter views with semi-transparency to see more of the toolpath information especially inside the part.
- Auto Tool Nose Radius Compensation: Eliminate the need to use trigonometry to compensate for the tool nose radius on start and end positions of a toolpath.
- Conversational Programming: Our founder invented this intuitive, straightforward programming method that leverages the power of technology to do what software does best—the redundant and mathematical tasks—and leaves the machining expertise to you. Features such as AutoCalc, Constant Surface Speed, and Diameter or Radius Programming, are just a few examples of how conversational simplifies complex processes.
- ISNC (G Code) Programming: While we're known for our conversational programming, the NC side of our control accepts FANUC formatted programs, including macros, and is compatible with the most utilized CAM systems.
Compared to the years we have been developing control technology and machining centres, our nearly decade long lathe experience may seem short. However, we've leveraged our overall machine tool experience and efficient process approach to ensure that each decision we make meets our objective to deliver manufacturing technology that helps our customers increase profitability. We know that premium components and expert design are critical in machine tool development. Therefore, you will have the peace of mind that your TM lathe will be reliable and rigid.
Our control technology is the greatest advantage of our lathes because the technology we develop yields the greatest opportunity for our customers to increase profitability via increased productivity. With large capacity memory, a fast processor, and multiple control features that minimiee setup time, you will benefit from a control that helps you get from print to part faster. However, expert design and premium components add to the reliable performance of our heavy duty slant-bed lathes.
Premium Components + Expert Design
- Spindle designed for maximum torque: The spindle features a cartridge design packed with lifetime grease, which provides maintenance-free lubrication. To maximize torque, the spindle is equipped with a gear box that switches gears automatically to provide best torque available at a given speed.
- Guide ways: The guide mechanism for the axes is fitted with precision linear ball rails and box ways for the tailstock. Our linear rails are built with the same precision grinding technology used in the manufacture of bearings because this technology provides superior acceleration and deceleration performance at full load-carrying capacity in all directions. Using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) technology, the size and spacing of the linear ball rails have been carefully matched to the machine’s static (precision boring) and dynamic (cutting and traversing) operating requirements. Each bearing block is independently and automatically lubricated to promote long life.
- Ball Screws: For feed drive elements, Hurco only uses premium, quality designed, pre-tensioned ball screws. With up to 98% efficiency, the re-circulating ball nut ensures low friction power transmission from the screw to the slide. This guarantees the combination of high accuracy, high rapid traverse rates, and high feed thrust. Large diameter X-axis and Z-axis double nut ball screws are hardened and ground, centered between the guide ways, and anchored at both ends with pre-loaded ABEC-7 precision class angular contact thrust bearings. This combination prevents backlash and provides outstanding positioning repeatability with virtually no thermal growth.
- Axis Drives: To maintain a leading edge in motion control technology all ball screws are driven by Yaskawa or Rexroth servo systems with closed-loop adaptive tuning and high-resolution feedback to obtain the utmost in system performance and reliability. The AC servo motors are direct-coupled to the ball screws for the highest level of accuracy. The brushless AC servo drive motors provide high torque to inertia ratio for the axis drives. The X and Z axis motors deliver impressive torque for peak thrust during heavy cuts.
Steady Rest: Large capacity SMW Autoblock steady rest for supporting long parts.
Overhead Hoist: Anchored motorized hoist to lift heavy parts into the lathe.
Parts Catcher: Reliable, tailstock mounted parts catcher with wide bucket to catch parts easily. Bucket extension is programmable to desired position at precisiley the right moment. Parts transferred to enclosed bin mounted outside sliding access door.
Parts Conveyer: Moves parts from catcher bin to secondary operations such as a parts washer or parts tumbler for lights out manufacturing.
High Pressure Coolant: Provides up to 1000 psi for deep hole drilling.
Lift-Up Chip Conveyor: Increases productivity by keeping the spindle cutting, while chips are carried out of the machine with a barrel height chip conveyor. Easy front access is provided.
Auto Tool Presetter: This Tool Touch Probing package is a compact and robust tool setting probe, which utilizes a stylus touch application for accurate measurement of tool geometry offsets. Tool probing is for initial tool set only and will not support automatic in process gauging.
Bar Feeder Interface: Allows third-party bar feeders to be controlled by Hurco lathes.
Oil Skimmer: Increases coolant life and performance by removing unwanted oil.
Mist Collector: Provides a safe, clean environment while also reclaiming evaporated coolant mist.